Monday, May 18, 2015

Review: Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page



18053060
Title: Dorothy Must Die
Author: Danielle Paige
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publishing Date: April 1st, 2014
Pages: 452
Genre: YA Fantasy/Retelling
Source: Hardback


  



I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.
What happened? Dorothy.
They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.






This is a dark, interesting twist on The Wizard of Oz. I think it would make a really great Tim Burton movie. 



What made me pick this book up?
I had seen an excerpt of it at a book fair I had gone to, and it looked interesting enough. I love retellings, of almost any type. And of course, the title "Dorothy Must Die" caught my eye, curious as to why Dorothy must die of course.

What do I like about the cover?
I love the minimalist feel of it.

What made me read it?
Retelling of course. 

What did I like the most?
I liked to read the twists on everything and how evil Dorothy really is..

The least?
It ends on a cliffhanger of course

Would you read the rest of the series/Other books by this author?
I just got The Wicked Will Rise. And I can't wait to read it.








I had a bit of a hard time getting into it, but by about midpoint I couldn't put the book down. I hate that it ended the way it did, and I can't wait to read the second one. 







10750 SpelledBewitched in Oz




Danielle  Paige



Danielle lives in NY. Before turning to YA, she worked in television & was nominated for several Daytime Emmy's. Dorothy Must Die is her first novel.






2 comments:

  1. I love the minimalist cover and I love retellings but the Wizard of Oz story never was my favorite. I have heard a lot of pretty good stuff about this book and it does sound interesting. I am glad you stuck with it and enjoyed it. Hopefully I will get around to reading it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like this one that much (I think I gave it a 3), I mean, I liked it, but I was bored for a good part of it, and hated that basically the whole plot was ruined by the "missions" on the back on the book, considering she doesn't even find out about them until the end...BUT the sequel is all kinds of awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs